Photo by Tom Taylor

Tired of the Old S***, Let the New S*** Begin

The handful of you who were following this blog in the past may be wondering, “What happened to all the old stuff?”

One of the biggest decisions I had to make in reviving this blog was what to do with six-and-a-half years of old posts. There was a lot I was proud of writing, but also a lot I was embarrassed by. And there were an awful lot of things that were completely dated. I regretted the possibility of obliterating the running diary aspect of the blog—the fretting over finding a new job in 2005, my progress through my kidney surgery in 2009, etc. There were interesting and thoughtful comments from my handful of regular readers that would be eliminated if I deleted certain posts. I also agonized over deleting the posts I wrote two years ago, when my long time friend Mike Valerio passed away. Would it have been better to have left that as a standing tribute to Mike?

In the end, I decided upon a total purge. But it was extremely time consuming. I knew there was a possibility that I’d regret losing some of those items in the not-too-distant future. So rather than just clicking the “delete” button, I set about copying and pasting the text (along with the html codes) and saving them in a huge collection of Word documents. They are there, along with the images, if I ever decide to share any again. I’m toying with the idea of perhaps running a Blue Chair archives site. At any rate, it was a tedious process and took me months to do.

A big reason for going with this option is what I’ll call the embarrassment factor. Using the blog as a diary has its dangers.

Over the years, I have coped with a certain low level of depression and sometimes I would get on here in my darker moments and decide to share. Not really a smart idea.

Several years ago, I was in the position to hire a new assistant at my job for DC Comics. At the time, I was in a pretty dark place in my personal life. One day, a young woman came in to interview. The night before, I had written one of my more bleak and dark ruminations. Early in the interview, this woman cheerfully brought up how she had been reading and enjoying my blog. Of course I wasn’t stupid enough not to realize that anyone could have found the blog by simply Googling my name, but I had largely chosen to ignore that possibility. This, however, was a real slap in the face. I think I immediately went to my office, opened the blog and promptly deleted the embarrassing post. Closing the barn after the beast is loose, I know, but lesson learned.

I’ll do my best not to embarrass myself here this time. Primarily, I plan to do my best to stay out of here when one of my blacker moods hits.

In the meantime, here’s this song by the Eels that I really love and which inspired the title of this particular post.


Labels: , ,

posted by Jim Chadwick @ 10:36 PM,

2 Comments:

At 1:45 AM, Blogger Sheldon Drzka said...

Hey Jim, good to see the old Blue Chair back. One thing you could do re: privacy issues is make it an invite-only or permission-only blog. I used to follow the blog of the mother of my older son's friend (she didn't know that I'd stumbled onto it and I never posted or said anything) and in the space of about a year and a half, she went from normal life with some ups and downs to moving (Austin to Dallas) to finding out her "saint" (her word earlier on) of a husband was cheating on her hardcore to attempted reconciliation to eventual divorce to meeting a new guy but still having problems with her now-ex... and then, finally, she switched to a permission-only blog and though she was an engaging writer, I wasn't about to ask if I could keep reading about her travails. (As I understand it, someone who was in her ex's corner was reading her blog and reporting the details to him, possibly to be used in court over who gets custody of their kids, and that prompted the security move.)

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Jim Chadwick said...

Shel! One of those handful of longtime readers (who I am aware of, at least) who I was talking about earlier. Thanks for the suggestions on privacy. Definitely something I will consider. When you create a blog, I suppose you always hope to attract as many readers as possible. Yet it's somehow a more appealing concept when you think most of those people might be total strangers. When I think about people I marginally know--or who know me as a name from the comic book industry--lurking around the site and monitoring my every thought, it definitely creeps me out. Perhaps this will help me find the happy medium I'd like to have.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

About Me

Jim Chadwick is a native New Yorker who has been living in southern California for the past 20 years. Jim has worked in comic books, publishing, toys and video games for way longer than he'd care to admit. That's because he is way older than he would like to be.

Jim is an editor for DC Comics, working out of the company's west coast office in Burbank, California. But if you came here looking for industry dirt, forget it. I like my job and I'd like to keep it. While I may sometimes talk about comics, this is mostly dedicated to my other interests.

My profile

About the Title

The title of the blog comes from an old Elvis Costello song that originally appeared on the album (and I can say "album" because I originally bought it on vinyl) called Blood and Chocolate. It's not my favorite Elvis song (though I like it a lot), but I chose it because in the lyrics, the subjective speaker is telling someone that they are now going to have to essentially shut up and listen to what he has to say. Which seemed kind of appropriate to the nature of blogging.


Web This Blog

Previous Posts

Blue Chair Archives

Powered By

Powered by Blogger make money online blogger templates